The classic smoke bomb is a great and fun project to make in-home. You can make a smoke bomb that billows clouds of brightly-colored smoke.
Colored Smoke Bomb Materials
- 3 tablespoons potassium nitrate
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons of powdered organic dye
- Cardboard tube or you could use a toilet paper roll or section of paper towel tube, or even a rolled/taped paper tube
- Duct tape
- Pen or pencil
- Firework fuse
- Cotton balls
Make the Colored Smoke Bomb Mixture
- Mix 3 tablespoons of potassium nitrate with 2 tablespoons sugar in a saucepan over low heat. It’s a 3:2 ratio, so if you don’t have grams, use three large spoonfuls of potassium nitrate and two large spoonfuls of sugar (3 tablespoons and 2 tablespoons, if you feel the need to be precise).
- The sugar will carmelize and brown. Stir the mixture continuously until it resembles smooth peanut butter.
- Remove the mixture from heat.
- Stir in a spoonful of baking soda (a rounded teaspoon is fine). The baking soda is added to slow down the combustion when the smoke bomb is ignited.
- Add three large spoonfuls (3 tablespoons) of powdered organic dye. Blue dye and orange dye are said to produce better results than the other colors. Stir to mix well.
- Construct the smoke bomb while the mixture is still hot and pliable.
Assemble the Smoke Bomb
- Fill a cardboard tube with the warm smoke bomb mixture.
- Push a pen or pencil down into the center of the mix (doesn’t have to be all the way to the bottom but should be enough that the pen stands in the mixture). You could use a different shape, but the cylinder works well.
- Let the mixture harden (about an hour).
- Remove the pen.
- Insert a fire fuse. Push pieces of cotton balls into the hole to tamp the fuse securely inside the smoke bomb. Be sure there is fuse left outside of the tube so that you will be able to light your smoke bomb.
- Wrap the smoke bomb with duct tape. Cover the top and bottom of the tube, too, but leave the hole area with the cotton and fuse uncovered.
- Go outside and light your smoke bomb!